Saint Augustine (354-430) quotes
- Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
- Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others.
- He who created us without our help will not save us without our consent.
- Hear the other side.
- If two friends ask you to judge a dispute, don't accept, because you will lose one friend; on the other hand, if two strangers come with the same request, accept because you will gain one friend.
- If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself.
- Indeed, man wishes to be happy even when he so lives as to make happiness impossible.
- It is not the punishment but the cause that makes the martyr.
- It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels.
- No eulogy is due to him who simply does his duty and nothing more.
- Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand.
- The purpose of all wars, is peace.
Thoughts & Comments